Oh, a KDE 4 postscript...

>> Sunday, January 13, 2008

In the course of breaking my computer, I did get to try KDE 4 out for a few minutes. What did I think?

It's very pretty, but I'm not sure the changes in the interface make it worth the adjustment. They're very obviously trying to match the slick gloss of Vista (which attempts to match the slick gloss of Tiger and its siblings). Nothing wrong with that, but I'd have to say that, personally, KDE 3.5 has a nice mix of gloss and functionality that I wasn't seeing on the Kubuntu 7.10/KDE4 Live CD. I may play with the Live CD a little more now that I have my original system restored, and see if a second impression is better than my first (which wasn't bad, just underwhelmed). The fact that I was having a difficult time determining whether the Live CD had a wireless configuration utility may have marred the experience as well--this is probably a problem with me or the 7.10/4 release, not with KDE.

So, overall, kind of meh. Pretty, but not necessarily useful--but we'll see if that first impression holds up when there's a supported Kubuntu release.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP