Oooh! Ann's gonna be sooo pissed....

>> Friday, January 04, 2008

I don't know that I want to get into a habit of commenting on the 2008 election. Let's face it, this is a road that very likely leads to headache and heartache and possibly gastrointestinal distress. In 2000, I was so fed up with the choice of candidates that I voted with my heart for Nader--and (not that my vote made one iota of difference in red North Carolina) discovered that there actually was a difference between Gore and Bush. In 2004, I drank the Kerry Kool-Aid™ and found myself heartbroken the day after the election. So why get too involved? I mean, I hate to sound like one of these apathetic Americans you're always reading about, and to sound like a bad citizen and ungrateful for the sacrifices of those who gave their lives, etc., but... I find myself being forced to conclude that there's nothing to destroy your faith in democracy quite like participating in it.

My line of work--something else I try not to write about--makes it even worse: I've been practicing law long enough to see some of my peers run for office and a few even get elected: I don't want to get into it and I certainly won't name names, but I knew some of these people before a popularity contest nominated them as wise and informed leaders of the community, and... well....

Yeah, it's time to change the subject. Disillusioned, here, leave it at that.

So, as I was saying, I don't much want to write about politics, but I did blog about crazy Ann Coulter tearing into Mike Huckabee, so it only seemed appropriate to mention that Mr. Huckabee won the Iowa caucuses. Which you already know, because how could you not? But just because everyone knows doesn't mean we can't all point at the crazy centaur-lady and laugh. Alright, give her a sugarcube and let's move along....

And while we're on the subject of the Iowa caucuses, how could I not mention that I'm tickled that my second-well-really-he's-my-first-if-we're-being-realistic choice for the Dems managed to win their caucuses. Again with the heartache of participatory democracy: the candidate who has the most sympathy with my views is Dennis Kucinich, who of course has an excellent chance of being elected President Of The United States... if all the other candidates are horribly killed in an adorable (but horrible) incident involving superintelligent time-traveling penguins. (Hey, it... could happen... in my mind....) But Barack Obama seems like a smart, likable guy, and we agree on at least some of the issues--and he's never broken my heart the way Hillary Clinton managed to. So, Mr. Obama's first-place finish in the Iowa caucuses is nice. And the fact that my third pick, John Edwards, actually finished in second place ahead of Mrs. Clinton is kinda nifty, too. I can live with that.

But it's only the fourth day of a long year, of course: we'll see how I feel about all this November 8, and who's laughing then.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP