What I done et

>> Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I was talking to my Dad on the phone while I made dinner, and finally got to a point where I needed two hands to finish preparations.

"Sorry to do this," I says, "but I finally got to the point where I need two hands to finish making dinner, so I have to go."

"What are you making?" he asks, naturally enough.

"Steak and spinach salad," I says. "Spinach, olive oil, red wine vinegar, flank steak, blue cheese and grapes. I got the recipe from Everyday Food. Pretty simple, takes, like five minutes to make."

"That sounds really good," my Dad says.

I offer to send him the recipe by e-mail if he gets his internet woes resolved, and it doesn't occur to me until I'm eating that I could put the recipe up on the blog, which he reads, where it might feed the world. Well, maybe not really. Still, it could go in someone's belly, and that would be a fine thing indeed. And since I put the recipe into my computer so I'd have it handy if I somehow forgot it and couldn't find the magazine (I'm anal like that)....


Steak Salad With Spinach
(Everyday Food March 2007, p. 52)
  • 1 piece skirt steak (4 oz.) (I find that a piece of flank steak works much better, and leaves you with plenty of extra to put in the freezer until you're ready for another salad)
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
  • 3 cups baby spinach
  • ½ cup seedless red grapes, halved
  • 1 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
  • 1 tablespoon coarsely chopped walnuts (the original recipe calls for this, but I actually don't like walnuts very much--I know, that will offend some people--so I omit this)
Heat broiler with rack 4” from heat. Season steak with salt and pepper; place on a broilerproof pan. Broil 4-6 minutes, without turning, for medium-rare. Let rest five minutes.


Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, combine oil and vinegar; season with salt and pepper, and whisk to combine. Add spinach; toss to combine. Thinly slice steak crosswise. Place spinach, grapes and steak on a serving plate, sprinkle with cheese and walnuts.


Mmmm. Yum.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP