Not getting happier

>> Saturday, March 01, 2008

Is it me, or does the 4E D&D character sheet on display with this article look an awful lot like the dumbed-down character sheets from the 1981 revision Basic D&D (at the beginning of the fork, before the Expert and subsequent sets made D&D a separate game from AD&D and required more elaborate record sheets)?


I'm not opposed to simplifying games--to the contrary, I have an admiration for streamlined games. But there's a difference between "simplified" and "dumbed-down." A complicated and nuanced game can have very simple rules.


But that character sheet rubs me wrong. Maybe I'm biased. Maybe it's not even a real character sheet, maybe the demo games they're running are using stripped-down, bare-bones character records. But I've got a bad feeling about this. Oh, who am I kidding? I've had a bad feeling for months.


Anyway, judge for yourself.





0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP