Life during right now

>> Thursday, April 10, 2008

Right. Or should that be "alright"? Inside joke there, but for the record I not only have no problem with "alright," but I think it's a perfectly cromulent word. There most certainly is a connotative difference between "alright" and "all right"--when The Who told us the kids were alright they didn't mean the kids were all right. Isn't that obvious?


But anyway, that's not important and is a bit of an aside, which is ironic insofar as this whole post is an aside of sorts. I spent the evening over at my aunt's--my grandmother is in town, and I almost didn't get to see her (story not worth getting into)--but tonight I was able to have dinner with them and we had a great (and long) conversation about assorted subjects. Including politics and religion, with no fighting or loss of tempers by anyone, which is unsurprising but also wonderful.


So I don't really have time for a real blog entry, not one about politics or religion or grammar or much of anything else. Oh, and as a further aside, I wouldn't have time for an utter asstard like Vox Day even if I hadn't had an enjoyable dinner and conversation with family that took up the entire evening. (Can anyone guess whose blog I've found especially irritating this week? Wow! However did you know?) What I do have time for is a Talking Heads video.


A little free association here: I thought of the Talking Heads because "Take Me To The River" shuffled up on the iPod on the drive home (live version, 1978, utterly awesome). So when I got home I searched YouTube for "Talking Heads" and this came up. Actually, "Girlfriend Is Better" came up first and was almost your evening video, but it didn't quite fit, even as a random video apropos of nothing at all. But part of the conversation tonight was about World War II, and hey: "Life During Wartime," that has a tangential synchronicity of some sort, eh? No? Well humor me. This is from the film Stop Making Sense, which I haven't seen in probably two decades but seeing it again makes me think there's a case for this being Jonathan Demme's best film. Seriously. Yeah, I liked Silence Of The Lambs just fine, but that's some good-looking concert footage in this clip. I'd also forgotten just how fucking limber a geek David Byrne is: the fucker looks like he's made out of water. And while all the instruments sound great (love you, Tina W.), the keys solos by Bernie Worrell (of P-Funk; intro and first solo) and Jerry Harrison (outro solo) are especially delectable; dig it.


Less talking, more heads:



Now that's some awesome shit. And no crappy fade during the last verse, either--why they maimed this song on Fear is beyond me, but never mind. This song, this performance, this film--count the kinds of awesome on display, I dare you. I double-dog dare you.


Enjoy!





7 comments:

vince Friday, April 11, 2008 at 7:53:00 AM EDT  

Ah, the Talking Heads. One of my favorite bands. I misses them, I does. And I think Stop Making Sense is one of the best music/concert films ever made, right behind The Last Waltz.

Nathan Friday, April 11, 2008 at 9:21:00 AM EDT  

Yeah! Stop Making Sense is awesome. Anyone who hasn't seen it must remedy that situation immediately. It starts with a bare stage, David Byrne and a boombox. Builds to a gleeful stage full of everybody and everything just being awesome.

Side note: I worked on the Pretenders video for "My Baby". Long horrible day in the pouring rain and flooding and lots of not fun. Bernie Worrell spent the day drinking and was barely in shape to sit up straight when it came time for his closeups.

Otherwise, really cool guy!

Nathan Friday, April 11, 2008 at 11:31:00 AM EDT  

Checking in a couple of hours later.

So, I forced myself to get back to work on "No Crying in the War Room", and there I am, 3 paragraphs in, and what do I type?

already.

And you know what? It's the right fucking word. It is. The language police can just suck it.

Eric Friday, April 11, 2008 at 12:35:00 PM EDT  

Debbie Harry, The Pretenders, Worrell--Nathan, dude, I might need a lock of your hair in a lucite block. That's an awesome list right there, and I suspect there are some other icons on it you just haven't mentioned yet.

That's the kind of story about Worrell that if it were almost anyone else it wouldn't be cool, but when it's about Bernie Worrell it's somehow sort of awesome even if it shouldn't be. Sort of like when I saw Shane MacGowan and the Popes in Chapel Hill twelve or thirteen years ago--it was kind of pathetic, the way he stumbled about and almost killed his bassist and crudely tried to pick a fight with the whole audience, and yet we all would have been sort of disappointed if he'd been up there sober.

* * *

The obvious problem with the language police is that even when they're right (they frequently aren't), they leave no room for linguistic evolution. One imagines some 17th century grammar nazi harranguing The Bard:

Grammar Nazi: "You can't say that! It's ugly and it's not even a word!"

Shakespeare: "Your eye. It's round. Like a ball. Ergo, it's an eye-ball, you jackass."

Grammar Nazi: "Fine. I'm telling everybody you're Francis Bacon."

(Charles Dodgson, of course, did it entirely on purpose; he had a running bet with an ex-girlfriend--he broke up with her when she turned sixteen, but they stayed friends--that he could trigger an epileptic seizure in a grammar nazi and it would be frabjulous, so he spent many a brillig just making up nutty words to screw with their heads.)

Nathan Friday, April 11, 2008 at 2:46:00 PM EDT  

Taking the last first.

The sentence in question was:

"Addie had already told Paul three times..."

"Addie had all ready told Paul three times..."

The second doesn't mean anything, much less what I mean it to say.

I once spent 45 minutes sitting in a director's chair next to Kieth Richards. On the roof of a 60 story building. Could. Not. Understand. One. Single. Word. Except 'mate'. That pops into his speech constantly.

Yet, still, a very cool interlude!

Nathan Friday, April 11, 2008 at 2:48:00 PM EDT  

Except, of course, I now remember that he was talking about 'alright'...not 'already'.

Wonder how he feels about that one?

Eric Friday, April 11, 2008 at 4:31:00 PM EDT  

He's probably not a fan.

I kid. I think "already" has "better" bona fides--"better" being in quotes because I think "alright" has perfectly okay bona fides on its own despite some lexicographers saying it's considered "substandard usage."

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP