Lazy Sunday

>> Sunday, May 11, 2008

Today is going to be a lazy Sunday of just kinda hangin' out at home. It's raining off and on, with storms expected in the evening. If friends call, I might hang out with them or I might not; for the moment I think I'll play some videogames and put off writing a little. (I feel justified: I'll be at a conference at the beach this week and expect to have some quality time then.)


Anyway, in lieu of a blog post, here's a live performance of Iron And Wine's and Calexico's "He Lays In The Reins," a gorgeous song from their 2005 collaboration In The Reins.



Iron And Wine and Calexico are two bands whose independent work I'm not familiar with; I heard one of the songs from In The Reins on SomaFM and had to have the album, which is either a short LP or a long EP depending on how you look at it. (At approximately half-an-hour in length, Reins is about the length of '60s vinyl--e.g. early Beatles albums--but about 20 minutes shorter than '80s vinyl and half the length of a typical CD. Some would argue--and while I'm not sure I agree, I can see the merit of the case--that vinyl was the "right" length for albums and the 72-minute capacity of compact disc led to bloat, with bands either declining to edit out material that would have better been left to b-sides or straining to fill out a "short" album with inessential and second-rate work. But, once again, I digress.) Anyway, "He Lays In The Reins" is a beautiful song and I hope you enjoyed it. If you did, buy the CD: it's a beautiful piece of work. And have a good Sunday (or whatever day it is when you read this!).


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP