Everybody's doing it

>> Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Since I don't have anything else to write about, and since everyone else has done an entry about Tania's generosity--or her cats'--here's two pictures of Elvis meeting catnip:





It's hard for me to find words for Tania's generosity. It's a small thing, but not a simple one: here she is, sending a thoughtful gift to a handful of near-strangers she pretty much knows through the exchange of words online. She wouldn't recognize me on the street, but she thinks enough of me (or my cat) that she decided to go to the trouble of buying my cat a present and mailing it. Is it maudlin or otherwise overly sentimental to say she did a beautiful thing in getting treats for the UCFers' pets? She did; I don't know how else or what else one could say about it.

The easy joke--I have a tendency to do this when I feel awkward, please forgive me--is to suggest that Tania's cats, Skulker and Orphelia, have done what any skillful dealers of crack or heroin might: they have exposed my naive young feline to the thrills and pleasures of primo catnip with a free taste--because the first taste is always free. The second, the second, they say, will cost ya'. That's an easy and obvious joke, there it is. Leave it to me to destroy the moment, for I'm a momentary destroyer by nature. (Or is it nurture?) No, I shouldn't do that--of course, the hypocritical and confessional nature of the blog (or its ancestors) is that I will type this, comment on how awful it makes me, and publish it anyway. If I felt so-much remorse for biting down on the moment, I could hit "delete," couldn't I? Instead I move my mouse over to "Publish Post" and feel clever and remorseful at once. Or sort of.

Thank you, Tania, for the gift. And for being a kind and thoughtful person, and for looking out for the kittens of strangers.


6 comments:

Jeri Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at 1:08:00 AM EDT  

I love that second picture - it's like a pose of abject worship. :)

Go Tania!

Random Michelle K Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at 8:50:00 AM EDT  

I love how he managed to wrap his entire head in the catnip.

And let me know if you want added to the address book, so you can receive more cards/gifts from other random near-stranger. :)

(hint hint)

Janiece Murphy Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at 10:01:00 AM EDT  

That cat is surely enjoying his blankie.

But then, cats are masters of the sybaritic.

And I second Michelle's not-at-all subtle hint.

Nathan Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at 11:57:00 AM EDT  

I couldn't get a picture (cause kitties are fast), but last night Teufel managed to completely roll himself up in the blanket/mat and then Widget sat on him. It got a little noisy after that.

Eric Wednesday, July 2, 2008 at 1:42:00 PM EDT  

I really wish you had a picture of Widget sitting on Teufel. I get two mental pictures that crack me up. In the first, Widget has the feline version of a self-satisfied smirk on her face. The other image, equally likely, is nearly identical except that Widget is genuinely surprised when her blanket begins to writhe and squirm and yowl at her.

Tania Thursday, July 3, 2008 at 1:56:00 AM EDT  

Oh, Elvis so cute.

I'm feeling rather embarrassed about all the praise. I just like critters, and my kitties like their catnip delivery systems. So figure other kitties would like them, so... why not spread the joy?

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP