Not looking too bad, not looking too bad at all...

>> Saturday, July 05, 2008



And we're getting there. We have my old desktop, my Firefox 2.x preferences back (I'm putting off upgrading to 3.0 for now; I was going to do it with the new install, but there appear to be Chrome differences that suggest I may have to do a lot of manual work to get the plug-ins and things I'm used to reinstalled into the new version), my home folder is what it's supposed to be, the GIMP and Digikam are installed so I can muck around with photos, Neverwinter Nights is running (for that all-important leisure time), Amarok seems to be set up correctly for tunes... we're starting to look alright. A-OK. And we have Hardy Heron installed and room to grow when the next update occurs in October.

Yep, I do believe we're getting there.

There are fonts to install, preferences to tweak, things I haven't noticed (and won't until I go to do something and--whoops)--but it's coming along. We have happy Kubuntu, knock on wood. If you ran out of toasts yesterday, or somehow don't have a reason to tip one back despite it being a three-day-weekend and the Fourth Of July, feel free to clink your bottle or glass against my Long Hammer IPA; here's to installed OSes, things running reasonably well, and absolutely no jinxes arising out of this post!

9 comments:

Nathan Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 8:07:00 PM EDT  

Congratulations! CLINK!

Oh, and when you're not worried about bugginess anymore, Firefox 3.0 rawks!

Eric Saturday, July 5, 2008 at 10:39:00 PM EDT  

Thanks!

I've heard Firefox 3.0 is pretty great. It'll mostly be a matter of sitting down with a pad of paper and making sure I know what I have installed on Firefox 2.0 and then making the switchover--there are quite a few add-ons I can't imagine living without, like Morning Coffee and AIOS, that I'll have to make sure have been adapted to 3.0 or that I can find substitutes for.

What I tried to do, actually, was to install 3.0, FEBE 6.0b, and then try to port my prior settings and plug-ins from my prior install using FEBE. I expected I'd have to run upgrades to actually use the extensions, but what actually happened is FEBE 6.0b didn't even recognize the FEBE 5.x backup as a backup. So that plan went out the window.

Nathan Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 12:05:00 AM EDT  

I'm not at all informed on your OS, but 3.0 imported everything I had on 2.whatever. A couple of add-ons were deemed obsolete, but I had no memory of having used them...so no worries.

vince Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 12:14:00 AM EDT  

I'll join you in that toast to things going well.

I've been working on my super-secret way-behind project this weekend, and actually may have it finished tomorrow. Not perfect, mind you, but actually working. If I get it done, then I'll have to do some comment hijacking tomorrow or Monday.

So I'll toast to getting the technology we want and/or need working with this wonderful Irish toast:

Let us be Wise
when faced with Trouble;
Found when we are Missing;
Let there be Sunshine
while we're Drinking;
And Darkness while we're Pissing.

Eric Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 7:43:00 AM EDT  

Hijack away when you get it done, Vince! And I'll need to remember that toast.

Nathan Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 8:28:00 AM EDT  

VINCE IS STARTING A BLOG!!!!

(right?)

Eric Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 10:51:00 AM EDT  

Is he really? About damn time! Where the hell is it?

And here I was, just assuming his secret project was a 'bot that would hit Nathan's blog a few hundred more times so Vince could steal the prize from Jim, who apparently hasn't won yet.

vince Sunday, July 6, 2008 at 3:07:00 PM EDT  

That's my second secret project.

The bog in all its Mach I Mod 0 goodness is here:

http://somewhatreal.com/itsme/

Notification has been sent to the ucfers groups thingy.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP