Probability of a real Saturday post: low

>> Saturday, July 12, 2008

I might have flower pr0n (I prefer to think of it as "borrowing" a page from Michelle's book. That was what I kind of sort of wanted to put up today. I went out to the USNWC trails and took a few pictures, but they're in RAW format and I was playing with the Aperture-priority mode, and I don't know if they're any good or if I'll have to futz with them; and it's almost four p.m. and I'm off to hang out with a friend this evening at five and I kind of wouldn't mind chilling and reading for a bit.

I know: excuses, excuses. But that's how it is. We'll see if the pr0n makes it up tomorrow, or is just too damn blurry for publication.

In the meantime, I'm going to offer a treat and a rank injustice in one fell swoop of embedded video.

The treat: The Zombies, a band that I would describe as the most-overlooked '60s band of all time. To the extent The Zombies are remembered at all, it's for "She's Not There" and "Time Of The Season", a pair of great songs, true, but it's unfair that people rarely look further than that. The Zombies wrote hooks like The Beatles, strutted like The Stones, and thrashed like The Kinks. And weren't really anything like any of those bands. They were originals, kind of ahead of their time, and nobody noticed them that much until they were gone--hell, you could almost call them the '60s answer to The Pixies while flailing around for a comparison (and, like The Pixies, they knew how to milk dynamics in a song).

The injustice: the video I'm embedding is cool, but it's the wrong way to listen to this song. What someone on YouTube did, was they took an old 45 of "Leave Me Be", a fantastic song, and filmed the record playing. Which, as far as I'm concerned, is a pretty cool way to share the song. But the way you should really listen to "Leave Me Be" is to take the tune in the format of your choice--vinyl, CD, even MP3--run it through your home stereo or even a car stereo, and crank the shit out of it. Seriously. That semi-whispered croon over the hushed backbeat and surfy, sparse guitar chords should give way to the roar of the organ and shouted chorus in a way that makes the speakers rattle. It's awesome, it's rock and roll, it's something you should try as soon as you can and thank me later.

In fact, that's why I went looking for this song on YouTube. There's no subtext, feel free to not leave me be (and I'm certainly not missing her). The message today is: this is a really cool song. Enjoy!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP