Gee, I hope the wireless connection works well enough for this to post...

>> Thursday, November 06, 2008

I'm in Boone, today, up in the mountains, for a conference. The conference itself has been, as is often the case with these things, less than exciting. But hey, it's an excuse to be out of the office for a few days, and I won't actually have to go back until next Wednesday because Tuesday is Veteran's Day and I took Monday off.

So, you know, yay me.

I walked down to the campus of Appalachian State University, my undergraduate alma mater, early this morning so I could try to take some "magic hour" photos of campus. Getting old (and I know this isn't an original observation) is a bitch: you realize you're twice the age of some of the pretty young women going to their classes, and the buildings are all moved around from where they were, and an uphill walk (Boone, in case you didn't know and couldn't divine this from the name of the campus, is up in the mountains) that used to be mildly exerting when you were in your twenties is now a terrible trek when you're on the wrong side of thirty and out of shape. (I was about to make an easy joke about being in shape--round, when I realized that I probably am truly shapeless, being a bit like a pillow or bean bag with legs.)

Anyway, getting a few pictures was one of the main things I was looking forward to. I haven't had the opportunity to sift through the pictures to see if any of them were actually any good or not. They may end up showing up as a blog entry sometime in the next few days if they don't suck too badly.

And now I'm sitting in one of the morning sessions. The wireless in this place is pretty cruddy; the Broyhill Inn was built just before the wireless revolution, if I recall correctly (by which I mean it was definitely built before, but I seem to remember the building's construction as happening in the early '90s when I was here--there was definitely a lot of construction on this side of the hill, but I may be confusing some of the other work here with work on the Broyhill itself). The Inn is built very much like an old college dorm, with big cinderblock construction and tiny little bathrooms; that they even bothered installing some kind of wireless in the building is a little amazing. I mean, obviously every conference facility and hotel these days has to have wireless, but the Broyhill is about as wireless-unfriendly structure as you can imagine, so the obligatory wireless installation was a little bit of a shot in the dark, in my view. The place is made, as I said, of cinderblocks and thick walls that are full of heavy insulation against the mountain cold (it doesn't quite succeed), with windy halls and many corners. I show three bars right now in the KNetwork Manager, but I'd have to say the three bars are pretty much a lie.

So, anyway, that's what I'm busy and up to. I'm not sure how much time I'll have to respond to comments here or to add comments to friends' blogs, but I am trying to keep up with everyone. I mention this in part because a number of people left excellent comments under the post-election post, and several of those people also said some wonderful things back on their own blogs. I wanted to thank everybody, and if you haven't already read some of those posts, I do suggest you click on the commenters' profiles or check out the links to their blogs on the "Friends And Neighbors" sidebar on the right side of the screen.

Hope everybody is having a lovely week so far.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP