Neverwednesday Nights

>> Wednesday, April 01, 2009

This evening's video will please one of the usual suspects, I think....

Dire Straits' 1985 release, Brothers In Arms was, unfortunately, one of the most over-played albums of the year and the decade (hey, I'm not knocking it--it's a great record; but if you remember that year, it got played a lot). Or, maybe more accurately, the first side of the album (albums used to be 12" across and have two sides, kids, and you had to flip them over halfway through listening to them), which included "Money For Nothing," "Walk Of Life" and "So Far Away," was overplayed. And what was really unfortunate was not the chance you might have gotten tired of hearing Sting chant "I want my MTV," no, what was really unfortunate was that while the first side of Brothers In Arms was pretty good (and those songs are pretty good, even if some of you may have gotten tired of them twenty years ago), the second side of the album was the good side, the really, really, really good side.

Which brings us to tonight's cut: the title track from Brothers, which closed out the album. Or most of it--the video edit is criminally missing the last two minutes of one of the sweetest solos in Mark Knopfler's career of sweet solos. But the animation is pretty nice. Okay, that doesn't quite compensate. Still.

"Brothers In Arms":




5 comments:

Ilya Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 5:00:00 AM EDT  

You couldn't have meant me, Eric, but I am pleased :)

With my admittedly shallow view of Western rock music, this album is Dire Straits. I could never get into any of their other recordings, instead always flipping back to Brothers in Arms.

vince Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:53:00 AM EDT  

Brothers In Arms was, perhaps, their best album, and I agree. Side 1 was good, side 2 was outstanding.

mattw Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 7:56:00 AM EDT  

Wait, you mean to tell me that you used to have to flip over the *checks blog post* record to hear everything? How archaic. :P

Nathan Wednesday, April 1, 2009 at 10:01:00 PM EDT  

I remember the first time I heard Dire Straits, I was sure it was Bob Dylan...entering yet another phase.

One where we could understand him again and he'd hired he most awesometastic guitarist I'd ever heard.

bluejayway76 Friday, April 3, 2009 at 7:53:00 AM EDT  

Like most folks my age, I had this on vinyl (unlike most, I nerdily still do, filed away alphabetically) - but somehow never saw the video.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP