Least likely cover ever?

>> Wednesday, November 11, 2009

This evening I found myself listening to Joan Baez's From Every Stage, her phenomenal 1976 live album. Of course the album includes her brilliant kiss-off to ex-boyfriend Bob Dylan, "Diamonds And Rust," which I think is one of the all-time best kiss-off songs of all time (there's a kind of elegant snarkiness in the lines

Now you're telling me you're not nostalgic
Then give me another word for it
You who are so good with words
And at keeping things vague


...for instance that really nails Dylan beautifully, if you ask me).

And listening to Baez's "Diamonds And Rust," of course how can you not recall the classic cover version of the song performed by... Judas Priest? Which has to be on a list of least likely covers ever, if not a leading contender--I mean, if not for this song, when would you ever link the fey sixties-seventies protest singer with one of the hardest-rocking metal bands of the seventies and eighties? But there's the Priest, covering Joan Baez, and doing it well, I mean this isn't just some half-assed version, no, the Priest knocks it out of the park. Maybe that last part shouldn't be surprising: one thing Judas Priest and Joan Baez share is a supremely talented voice; Baez's voice is truly angelic, and Rob Halford is one of the finest voices in rock'n'roll.

So, what the hell? "Diamonds And Rust," a Joan Baez song about Bob Dylan performed by Judas Priest:





2 comments:

David Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 9:54:00 AM EST  

I would nominate The Austin Lounge Lizards' bluegrass cover of "Dark Side of the Moon," myself.

Leanright,  Thursday, November 12, 2009 at 3:17:00 PM EST  

Ah, yes. Priest. Reminds me of a younger, more, shall I say....Idiotic time in my life.

Still can't turn them off when I hear them though.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP