NaNoWriMo word count for today

>> Tuesday, November 10, 2009

11,952 / 50,000
Words


Today was a good day. Saw a movie, bought some books, did some grocery shopping, made a pot roast that was way too dry but still edible, and was the first thing I'd cooked, really cooked in quite a while. It rained all day, but that was alright today.

What it wasn't was a writing day. I went upstairs to get some writing done, and by the time I'd frittered with various other things, it was eleven. And now I think I'm just too bleary to write much more and all I've put in is a few hundred words.

I also started asking myself if I could consider myself a winner if--assuming I even hit 50,000 words at all--all I had was 50,000 words of randomish shite. I mean, I'm alright with what I'm doing. But I've said previously that I don't see it going anywhere and I still don't. So is it really a novel or an extended exercise? And, too, should I perhaps just jettison it if I get to a point where I feel the confidence to start really writing something legitimate; this morning, tooling around on the way to various things, I found myself thinking about one of those real projects in a good way.

I dunno. This is very much a masturbatory exercise, and that part of it doesn't make me happy even if, as grotesque as this may sound, I feel like I'm masturbating my way back to health. Yeah, that sounds pretty creepy, doesn't it?

  • Tori Amos, Under The Pink
  • Nick Cave, No More Shall We Part



2 comments:

mattw Wednesday, November 11, 2009 at 11:20:00 AM EST  

Eric, you'll always be a winner in my book. *finger shooty gesture with a wink for good measure*

Who else could be masturbating himself back to health through writing?

And for pot roast, I slow cooked one a couple weeks ago using the roast, potatoes, onions, carrots and a bottle of beer, and it turned out pretty good.

ntsc Saturday, November 14, 2009 at 6:56:00 AM EST  

On the pot roast. If it is dry after being cooked, braised, in a liquid as it should be, then you are cooking at too high a temperature.

You want to aim for an internal temperature in the range of 180-190 F. Do not exceed that. This is the point where the good things in meat start to disolve and turn into juice, and higher and the evaporate leaving dry meat.

see http://blog.charcuteire.com/2008/12/23/pot-roast.aspx

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP