Ask me: "When are the geekier factions of the UCF getting together for a big D&D session?"

>> Monday, March 15, 2010

Matt would really like to know:

When are the geekier factions of the UCF getting together for a big D&D session?


Well, wouldn't I like to know, too!

As I suggested in a response to Michelle, I doubt I'll be traveling much this year. I don't know if that hazy lack-of-planning extends to DragonCon 2010, an apt place for geekiness and hometown to one of the UCFers and not, I think, too far from another--but in exactly the opposite direction of Matt, if I'm not mistaken. Plus, while I've been saying "Oh yeah, I'm getting back down to DragonCon this year!" for the past three or four years or more, it hasn't actually happened for one reason or another.

Also, gosh, would there be time for D&D with the opportunities for Twilight Imperium marathon sessions that come up in the DragonCon game room?

Another wrinkle is just how hard it might be to get things prepped. A one-shot module with pregenerated characters might be an option, but a really good session is directly related to the amount of prep a gamemaster can put into the game. The few days that a UCF gathering are likely to have might be less conducive to a good RPG gaming session than one might hope, and whoever was going to GM might be prepping on spec, which can be frustrating ("I spent ten hours putting together encounters and we never even played!").

That said, I'm game if the stars are right for it. Who else would be in, and not just the usual gamer suspects. And I'm not necessarily just up for 3.x D&D--Call Of Cthulhu works great for one-shots, since a Cthulhu session that ends with a TPK may well be the mark of a Really Good Evening and not an utter failure as TPKs usually are. ("The detective went totally nutso and stabbed the heiress in the back before trying to summon Yog-Sothoth from the book that ate the professor, so I shot him then turned the gun on myself before the insect from Shaggai could take over my brain... BEST SESSION EVER!")

Here's a question I'm interested in: how many UCFers are pen'n'paper RPGers, past or present? And how many might want to be?

Finally: Matt's question was the last one posted in a reasonable time. I could leave the post open--this was a lot of fun--but I think it would be more fun to make "Ask Shoulders Of Giant Midgets" something I do every few months or annually or whenever I'm dry on ideas. So I'm closing the original question thread for now. This was awesome and fun, and I hope y'all enjoyed reading some of these posts as much as I enjoyed writing them. Thank you!


5 comments:

mattw Monday, March 15, 2010 at 3:25:00 PM EDT  

I started playing D&D in middle school, or maybe late grade school, with people who didn't really understand how the game works.

"You'll let me drink all my healing potions so I have 150 HP for a level 4 theif? Sounds good to me!"

Then I found some other friends that played and were good and we had some fun with that. Then we discovered we could actually get some girls to go out with us, and that kind of fell apart. Met some more people through work and we started playing and eventually played the Robert Jordan-based RPG.

That group eventually broke up and some of us moved on to Risk and other such games.

I'd like to go back to RPGing on paper some day, but the stars are very far out of alignment for me now too.

Dr. Phil (Physics) Monday, March 15, 2010 at 3:28:00 PM EDT  

I like to watch.

Seriously, I do not play video games or D&D or other RPG thingies. I would get totally into it, and I'd rather channel my creative energies into my SF writing.

But I do enjoy sitting around and watching others play. (grin)

Dr. Phil

Nathan Monday, March 15, 2010 at 5:36:00 PM EDT  

I'll drink and holler rude catcalls.

WendyB_09 Monday, March 15, 2010 at 6:58:00 PM EDT  

Slacker. Just get your ass down the road here to DragonCon.

As all the downtown hotels are already booked, you might be able to find reasonably priced digs a la the Second Boudoir at Chez Moi.

If you get bored there is always tons of other interesting stuff to do on Labor Day Weekend.

Let me know.

oh, and the question of the day - never have been a roleplayer. Had a neighbor that was a while back, that bunch would be up all night. They were nice and would always warn me when it was their turn to host. If there was food or tasty beverages they would invite me over as a bribe for the noise they would eventually make. They were good neighbors.

Jeri Monday, March 15, 2010 at 9:54:00 PM EDT  

Dude. I'd play - and I'm not super experienced and no DM, but I enjoy it. I even play w/ the boys sometimes. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP