The Dread Gazebo

>> Wednesday, June 09, 2010

I don't even begin to understand the processes by which spam gets generated. I suppose I'm overthinking it. No doubt it just gets sent to addresses on a list, or even randomly-generated addresses.

Anyway, yesterday I got this in the junkmail:



Now, there's probably nothing obviously funny about that ad, unless you're an old-school gamer, in which case you may be making the same association I am: I cannot hear or read the word "gazebo" without my brain immediately flashing to what is arguably the greatest pen'n'paper RPG story ever told. Is it true? Does it matter? It's one of those utterly-perfect anecdotes, and best-of-all I don't think you have to be a gamer to understand it or get the joke (or the slightly-more-serious point you can make from it). If you haven't read it, or if it's been awhile, go take a look at it; it's an oldie but a goodie. (It's also, coincidentally, about a guy named Eric, but I'm not bragging about that--he doesn't exactly come off well.)

Have a great Wednesday, free and clear of any Dread Gazebos you might tangle with (or may you have an axe, or fire, or--better yet--a +2 fiery axe).

2 comments:

Nathan Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 11:38:00 AM EDT  

I'm laughing my ass off. Not only is it a great story, it reminded me of a game a friend and I played at summer camp when we were 14. We were both convinced that we had superior vocabularies to the rest of the campers, so we'd horrify them by telling them, we could see their uvulas.

We also had a bunch of kids hesitant to enter one patch of woods because we convinced them it was home to a herd of extremely territorial leaping gazebos.

timb111 Wednesday, June 9, 2010 at 2:43:00 PM EDT  

I live across from what is know in the neighbourhood as "Gazebo Park" (it has a gazebo in it, see?). Often late on a summer evening or very early in the morning there will be a teenage couple sitting in the gazebo discussing "things". Not realizing that the gazebo was specially designed to amplify sound these young couples will discuss romance. In Edmonton Canada there is not much use for air-conditioners so in the summer we sleep with our windows open. My and my neigbour have bedroom windows overlooking the park.

Young couples hearing us discussing them seems to end their conversations for some reason.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP