"Like some New Romantic looking for the TV sound..."

>> Friday, September 03, 2010

Earlier on Twitter, I made a crack about having the pirate shirt, mascara and keytar to prove I was the last of the New Romantics. None of which is true, though I'll bet I could rock a pirate shirt in a rotund-Byronic kind of way.

Anyway.

Not sure how many people got the joke. I thought Michelle did, but then I wasn't completely sure. I thought she did. She should. Whether she did or not, this one's for her and, I'm happy to add, for Sarah (who recognized the title when this post accidentally posted early), too--Duran Duran, "Planet Earth," off that first, brilliant, eponymous album (1981):






Aptly, the description on the clip's page reads, "1981 The Night Version video with lots of fabulous New Romantics," which I think is great, partly because I'm pretty sure all those "fabulous New Romantics" wobbling around in the video are now middle-aged stockbrokers and solicitors and so on with one-point-five kids, and a bit embarrassed by the old photos in a box in the closet showing them dressed like goth-pirate-clowns-from-space.

Hey, old New Romantics, feel glowy about it: a lot of us who were five, ten years younger than all of you looked up to you and thought you were awesome because you really were fabulous, and anyway the cooler you were as a kid, probably the dumber you looked in retrospect, because you were the ones with some sort of individuality going on, some sort of sense of style and self-invention and yearning to be or become somebody else. You guys were the signs of life after all.

Crank up some Adam Ant this weekend, hey?




6 comments:

Phiala Friday, September 3, 2010 at 7:06:00 AM EDT  

I would be pleased to provide the mascara.

And the pirate shirt, for that matter.

You think I'm joking???

Random Michelle K Friday, September 3, 2010 at 1:02:00 PM EDT  

You mean like this album which I own and enjoy listening to?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strip_%28album%29

Because really, "Playboy" makes me giggle every time I listen to it.

Eric Friday, September 3, 2010 at 3:44:00 PM EDT  

Crank it up and shake yer arse, woman! Play it loud!

Eric Friday, September 3, 2010 at 3:44:00 PM EDT  

(Er... but try not to break that trick ankle again when you do....)

:P

Random Michelle K Monday, September 6, 2010 at 8:38:00 PM EDT  

I'll stick to chair dancing for now, thanks.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP