Blogging; apolitical; cats; etc.

>> Monday, January 03, 2011

It feels like the old blog has been a bit light the past few days. What can I say? I was busy in the holiday season, spent some time with friends and family; did some research, didn't get much done by way of actual writing, but a few words down here and there. And there were a brace of movie reviews, one of which I thought was decent and another not-too-terrible, though perhaps I'm delusional. And there were some pretty okay photos, I thought. Plus some books read, so I thought it was all sort of alright. And I actually got some gaming in with friends, which was maybe the first time all year for that (hooray!). Just not a lot that ended up here, or maybe I don't give myself enough credit.

I think maybe I haven't felt the blog's been bloggy enough just because I haven't written anything about politics, and this blog seemed like it was getting pretty political for a while, which was never an intention. I've looked. I was looking at several articles today on other blogs and in the news about, f'r'instance, Representative Darrell Issa's battiness and what it might mean for the country. But it all seems so awful and horrid. I'm unhappy with the President but unhappier about the alternatives, most of the Republican leadership seems about as douchey as you might expect them to be, and I'm just tired, tired, tired of it all. You can't complain about the lack of leadership in what passes for the American left without being a juvenile idealist and what are you really going to say about a twatdrip like Darrell Issa beyond just quoting him and letting your head thump itself, basically?

I thought, instead, about posting a little piece of storynubbin I wrote about a cat the other day, but I like it enough to think it could be revised into something I could send somewhere and maybe they would give me money. That seems like a long shot at this point, but hope springs eternally.

This is a sentence from the story. I like to think it's sort of good but I'm afraid it might not be:

If he were also the Death Of A Cat, Death mused, he could grab them both and be done with it and on his mournful way.


And another, which I thought was very good and now I'm thinking might be just plain awful:

Death stood next to the bed, silent as a snowflake, and watched the man massage the soft spot before the cat's right ear.


But that's all you get for now, because the story might be good and worth something, or so I tell myself, anyway. And then I tell myself it isn't. Cats, however, are better than politics in any event, even dead ones or not-dead ones, whichever.

But I fret, anyway, that the blog is neglected even if there's a case to be made it's improved by a lack of politics. But what is there to say that I'm not saying now? Anyway, that would be the state of the blog as summed up just before dinner, if you cared.

5 comments:

vince Monday, January 3, 2011 at 7:56:00 PM EST  

Well, the inmates are running the sanitarium, that's true. And the stupid abounds. But sometimes you just have to do things that please you, make you happy, or are productive.

I like the Death Of A Cat - reminds me of the Death of Rats in the Discworld books.

Eric Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 11:23:00 AM EST  

Y'know, I still haven't read any of the Discworld books? Sometimes it makes me feel insufficient. But I just have so damn much in the stack already....

mattw Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 2:01:00 PM EST  

You might want to revise that second sentence, about Death being as silent as a snowflake, because according to Logan at school today, snowflakes sound like racecars.

mattw Tuesday, January 4, 2011 at 2:02:00 PM EST  

"Y'know, I still haven't read any of the Discworld books?"

How long is your commute? I've only "read" two discworld books myself, both listened to while driving, and they were quite enjoyable.

Eric Wednesday, January 5, 2011 at 9:15:00 AM EST  

Awesomest. Snowflakes. Ever.

"And then it began to snow! Kept me up all night! VRRRRRRROOOOOOM! ZHM! ZHM! ZHM! RRRRRRRREEEEEEEEAK! KABOOSH! SNOWCRASH! AHHHHHHHH!"

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP