"(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone"

>> Sunday, July 03, 2011

Continuing with yesterday's theme of odd covers I heard on the radio last week, here's The Sex Pistols' version of Boyce and Hart's "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone", best known for its performance by The Monkees:






Do you know that I think I like this one best? "Steppin' Stone" has always struck me as a song full of barely-contained, pent-up fury, which makes it a punk song, really, it's just that B&H foolishly decided to write the song a decade before punk was invented for some stupid reason. Silly songwriters. If they'd been savvier about it, they could have invented punk before they wrote the song and then had Micky Dolenz ripping his shirt off and bloodying his chest with broken glass onstage before shoving his microphone down the front of his torn leather pants during performances of the song, and how awesome would that have been? Pretty fucking awesome, I'll answer my own rhetorical question because I suspect you might be looking at the screen that way again. Please don't do that.

Anyway, great cover, is all I'm sayin'.


1 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP