Tindersticks, "Black Smoke"

>> Monday, November 07, 2011

Having depressed meself with politics before the weekend and having nothing clever to say, I'll just have to proffer some Tindersticks. "Black Smoke":







I don't know if they'll be any sparsity in the blog entries this month or not. I'm doing National Novel Writing Month in a kind of half-assed way to see if I can get my writing mojo back. It's not really working so far: aside from being behind on word count, I've already decided the first chapter sucks and needs to be rewritten, which of course is exactly opposite of the way you're supposed to approach NaNoWriMo; you're supposed to just write and not give a crap.

Well, it isn't really working that way. Swell. I'm getting paralytic and cramped on a writing project the quality of which isn't even supposed to matter. Hell.

Anyway, figured I'd warn you. I may or may not update on how it's going, especially if how it's going continues to be "not very well".




3 comments:

Phiala Monday, November 7, 2011 at 2:27:00 PM EST  

I don't know if it would work for you, but I find writing silly flash fiction to be a good mojo-builder.

I even solicit ideas on twitter, and then use ALL of them in the story, and within a strict time limit.

Fun, really.

Eric Monday, November 7, 2011 at 4:10:00 PM EST  

Hm--I need to consider that one, thank you.

I think what I'm going to do today is decide for sure how the story ends and try working backwards. Maybe that'll help? Can't hurt.

Zola Tuesday, November 8, 2011 at 2:18:00 PM EST  

FWIW

I've never done NaNoWriMo, but I did a project one time where I wrote a story every day. While in my case it was for a fan community, it would have worked equally well if I just built up an ongoing story about characters of my own.

Most of the stories were average, but it was truly astonishing how much EASIER it got to write stuff. Something about the fact of committing to get something posted every day really lit a spark for me.

One of the most profound stories I've ever written came out of that story-a-day marathon, and it did wonders for ability to say what I meant instead of rambling.

Gast forward about five years and I have some stories I want to write and I have lost that easy flow from imagination to keyboard and have been thinking of doing a similar project to get everything flowing again.

So tell you what--if you'd enjoy doing it, I'll do it too. :)

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP