Girls, "Honey Bunny"

>> Friday, January 06, 2012





It's been a long day. It's been a long week. I feel like I have exhausted my well of words, and can only hope that more words seep in from the bottom and can be dredged out at some point.

One of the things my sister gave me for Christmas was last year's Girls album, Father, Son, Holy Ghost (on which the above track, "Honey Bunny" can be found). It's a great record, a remarkable synthesis of a lot of swell 1970s sounds, really; I tend to feel like I'm listening to a no-longer-extant FM station when I play it. For an album with plenty of dark vibes, the record is nonetheless comfort music, the vocabulary I came up with before MTV introduced me to synthesizers. (Well... a misleading colloquialism: most of the instruments referred to and sold as "synthesizers" are technically samplers, but I suppose that's neither here nor there nor anywhere else in particular.)

I don't think it's merely old-fogeyism to say that radio has generally gotten worse over the decades. It's all Clear Channel's fault, except the truth is you can't really blame them for jumping on the opportunities presented by deregulation under Reagan and Clinton. Of course if you own eighty-bajillion radio stations it only makes sense to mass-produce the content, anything else would be kind of stupid and inefficient; sure, it might be nice if the standard boilerplate programming didn't suck ass, but you can't have everything, can you? (Not unless you have a near-monopolistic grasp on every market in the country, but let's not get technical.)

Thank goodness for Internet radio and the college stations and the odd here-and-there low-wattage stations clinging tenaciously to existence. Strangely enough, thank goodness for satellite radio, where a true-and-actual monopoly offers a huge slate of programming because their marketing strategy involves positioning themselves as an alternative to shitty commercial radio programming by offering a buffet ranging from stock copies of Clear Channel-formatted stations to niche formats. I don't know what I'd do if I had to listen to FM; that's not true, what I used to do is I'd only listen to the local NPR affiliate if I didn't have a tape or CD or iPod in the car (depending on the year we're talking about, natch).

But I do miss the radio I grew up with, or maybe just my nostalgia-infused memories of it. Charlotte radio was never that good, not really. It wasn't like it was one of those really cool and legendary radio cities like New York or Detroit or anything. (Funny: a lot of those old school, legendary DJs now spool the music files on satellite radio channels.)

I suppose this was a bit of wander and ramble. Not quite what I intended or where I thought it might go, but there you are. It's been a long week; I said that already, but this time, I'm saying it in the context of saying "good evening" to you. I hope you're having a lovely evening, however cold it might be wherever you happen to be.






3 comments:

Nick from the O.C./Misses KMET,  Friday, January 6, 2012 at 9:57:00 PM EST  

Here's a recommendation for you --

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jim-ladd-host-nightly-siriusxm-269185

It should bring back feelings of "the old days" of 70's rock radio.

Enjoy

Eric Friday, January 6, 2012 at 11:49:00 PM EST  

Excellent! Thanks for the info, Nick: I'll have to keep my ears out for Ladd's show.

I have to confess, to an East Coast Floyd fan, Ladd's best known to me as a voice on Roger Water's middling solo album Radio K.A.O.S.; I don't know that I've ever heard an honest-to-goodness actual Jim Ladd show. That said, his reputation does precede him anyway--the man's a legend.

Bird Sunday, January 8, 2012 at 11:45:00 AM EST  

Girls is so good. I'm glad you're digging it!

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP