Johnny Cash, "Mean-Eyed Cat"

>> Sunday, February 05, 2012



I think the plan today is for the ScatterKat and I to spend much of it trying to organize some of her things. She has a mean-eyed cat over at her place. Well. Mori loves her, but she doesn't like anybody else, or the ScatterKat tells me she doesn't like anybody else. The ScatterKat claims Mori used to lick the lead paint off the walls of an apartment she used to live in.

I take this personally. That Mori doesn't like me, I mean. I am a Friend Of Cats, and I like to think I carry that mysterious hidden scent that lets felines know I'm a Friend; sniff the hand, this guy's okay, rub your cheek on him. The fact Mori hisses at me is something I take as an actual affront. Doesn't she know I'm a Friend Of Cats? I am a master of the ear rub and the chin-scritch. I try to rationalize it by observing that Mori dotes on the ScatterKat and is obviously just being territorial and protective of her mother-figure, but, come on, I give good ear rubs.

Actually, Mori has lukewarmed to me, which has been worse in some ways: used to be, she'd just hiss at me, attack my shoes and run away; now, instead, she'll let me pet her, purr a bit, then hiss at me and try to bite and claw my hand. You might think this was some kind of progress. Well, no, it means that instead of staying clear of me, she baits me into getting my hand close enough to try to draw blood. I'm not sure, though, that it's an actual bait-and-switch stratagem so much as it's a somewhat confused kitty who still hates me but has figured out I'm not completely useless nor am I going away and leaving her alone with her owner anytime soon. Anyway, I kind of liked it better when she gave me a wide berth and hid.

I mean, of course I'm going to pet her if she comes near. I'm insecure and I need animals to like me. I know that's stupid. I never said it was rational. It's just one of those glitches.

Elvis, if you were wondering, follows the ScatterKat around, tries to climb into her lap for petting, will curl up at her feet on the bed, and gets upset and lurks around the door trying to block her way when she tries to leave (he does that to me when I have to go to work, too). That is a relationship that's working out. Maybe it's a lack of paint exposure.




POSTSCRIPT: Ah, yes, I almost forgot: some of you may be catching up on this blog later in the week, having spent Sunday watching the sportsarama thing that was going to be on the television machine. Not my scene, to be honest, but I absolutely hope all of you had a good time watching the ball get tossed around and that your team, whether it was the New York Patriots or the Detroit Giants (that's who's playing, right?) scored more baskets when it was their turn to scrummage and the umpires didn't give them too many red cards and penalty boxes. And if your team lost, well, I hope all the new ads were entertaining.

See you later in the week!







2 comments:

vince Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 12:20:00 PM EST  

While I'm far from a George Will fan, I do appreciate his description of football: "Football combines the two worst things about America: it is violence punctuated by committee meetings."

I do, however, love me some Johnny Cash.

Eric Sunday, February 5, 2012 at 3:32:00 PM EST  

That is an absolutely winning comment from Will. I don't like him, either, but I like the quip. Thanks, Vince!

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP