Cake, "I Will Survive"

>> Tuesday, April 03, 2012





I am on vacation this week. Or one of those "staycations", in the parlance of the age. I found myself on the verge of a meltdown a month or so ago and went to the boss and got the time approved, nothing in particular planned to do but to hang out at home and try a lengthy reboot. Doing it the week of Good Friday was simple efficiency: five days off for the price of four.

There's a notion somewhere in all this that I'll do some writing. Or writing-like activity. I have printed a story that needs to be edited, I bought myself a journal to try yet another approach to getting the awful longform project I've been starting over and over on for years now out of my head so I can do something else and I finally fixed (I think) the bent nib of an otherwise fine Parker fountain pen for the same purpose. I also picked up a Writer's Market 2012 when I was buying the journal, so as to help hold the coffee table down if there's any weird gravity in the living room. Yesterday I put some words in a journal and some different words on a legal pad; so while there were no pixels added to a screen, it isn't like "writing" didn't not happen.

These are head games we play with ourselves. This isn't working, maybe if you tried this. It's all bullshit, but it isn't not bullshit, either: the right pen won't actually help you write, we all know that, but maybe it will help you get in the right (write?) mental state. The worst part is when you keep trying all these tricks and the story still stalls out even though you know the whole thing by heart, and you can't just quit it and move on, either. Maybe there's no way out of the quicksand but the final one, straight down.

I may step out to the Home Depot in a few and see about getting some plants for the planter on the front balcony. The catnip and bee's balm came back without anyone asking it to, which is wonderful, but the flowers haven't returned from the dead and I suppose they won't.

I thought about doing a post about one thing and another, but this is the one I ended up writing when I had nothing to say about anything else.




3 comments:

Mama Karen Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 4:29:00 PM EDT  

"They" say to just walk away from a project when it's stalling. Get a breath of fresh air and let your mind reset. Not sure how to apply that to a long term stall but maybe it's taking a staycation and going to Home Depot. Here's hoping!

Eric Tuesday, April 3, 2012 at 4:59:00 PM EDT  

Thanks, Anne and Mama Karen!

I went and got replacement A/C filters and some flowers for the planters; came home and planted the flowers and then jotted a few more words in the journal and on the notepad. So I've ended up feeling kind of productive after all, which is nice.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP