Interpol, "No I in Threesome"

>> Tuesday, May 01, 2012






So here's the thing: I've been staying away from ranting about politics for all sorts of reasons, starting with my own sanity and ending with the fact that there's nothing all that interesting to rant about anyway. That latter sounds so disengaged: there's a conservative war on sexual freedom that includes revisiting birth control access issues that everybody thought were settled between Griswold and Roe and the ongoing effort to keep gay folks from enjoying the same civil rights as straight folks, etc., there are all kinds of legal and economic issues with immigration, healthcare, financial inequality, the surveillance state, etc., etc., etc.; but there's also this emerging feeling I have that it's just the same old shit and there's only so much you can say about it; besides which, so much has already been said.

But then this leaves me feeling like there's less to say here. I'm not quitting, for sure (that was just an unpleasant April Fool's Day joke, natch), but I find myself flailing about for topics these days. I've talked about that a lot here, I know. I expect I'll end up doing another "Ask Standing On The Shoulders Of Giant Midgets week soon, perhaps after I get back from a conference next week or maybe posting the questions thread while I'm there. And then I have the idea maybe I could be writing more about music, but it's the old "dancing about architecture" thing.

Or writing around music more. I kind of like--and hope you haven't been too irritated by--some of these digressive posts I've been doing lately where I have a music video or performance at the top of the page but then talk about something else beneath. There's almost a sense, to me at least, of the clip being a kind of shoulder I'm jumping into the pool from, sort of an embodiment of a blog title that started as kind of a joking reference to R.E.M. referencing Isaac Newton. I don't know if it works as a blog concept or is just irritatingly pretentious, or ridiculously misleading or something. It's something I've been thinking around, anyway.

But the politics--I don't want to say I'm not going to get back around to writing about politics, it's just I don't see myself needing the grief anytime soon. I was reading a friend's post earlier and she mentioned that she wasn't going to vote for the President again but for the latest round of retrograde madness from the Republicans, which have driven her back into the President's corner, and I get that; I've never been quite as disenchanted as she got (I don't think I ever had any notion of sitting out this election), but it remains hard to get enthusiastic about the President when contemplating his administration's surveillance state policies, the ambiguous morality of drone warfare, their indifferent or ineffective defense of their policies in public or in the courts, or the latest round of "revelations" of Bush-era torture/POW malfeasance that technically should be prosecuted but won't be. Yet, all that having been typed out, who the hell else would I vote for--the guy whose party basically promises to do worse vis-à-vis those same policies? I don't think so. But meanwhile I don't know how much I want to think about it.

Besides which, I still think Obama himself is personally cool and remain mystified as to how that's a bad thing.

None of this has anything to do with the Interpol video above, obviously. It's a shoulder, climb up on it and look around, jump off, whatever. Maybe this is part of what I need, too, places to start off from, sorta like a crystal forming around an imperfection (or, in this case, imperfection wrapping itself around a crystalline sublimity of a little tune; I'm not putting on airs, I hope).






4 comments:

John Healy Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 12:05:00 PM EDT  

I like the blog name. Sure it could be seen as being snarky. Who cares? It seems to say, sure culture is accumulative, and I intend to contribute.
Side note 'Edge of the American West' has moved to a new site with the same name.

Eric Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 1:01:00 PM EDT  

Thanks, John. I've updated the sidebar link for Edge Of The American West, a great blog everyone ought to be following.

Nick from the O.C. Wednesday, May 2, 2012 at 5:34:00 PM EDT  

I think you're cool and I'm glad I got to know you (a little bit) through your blog. You have an interesting POV and a strong writing style; sometimes, you have an absolutely amazing writing style. I would miss you if you stopped writing.

I think I've posted this before, but the older I get, the more I find I have to say (FWIW). Today, a blog post of mine got picked up by another blog and linked-to by Forbes. (Again, FWIW.) I didn't ever expect that to happen and, quite honestly, I would keep blogging away even if I only got 1 or 2 hits a day (as opposed to the about 150 hits per day I do get).

At the risk of sounding trite and even impertinent, go find your passion and use that to propel your writing. I know you care about certain things else you would not engage in your chosen profession. Care enough to write.

Come visit me in the O.C. and I'll buy you Macallan or whatever tipple you fancy.

Best wishes!

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP