Moby, "Go"

>> Sunday, July 01, 2012





Going (no pun intended) back a bit: The Great Bald One riffing on Angelo Badalamenti's haunting Twin Peaks soundtrack. Something different.

It's hard for me to bring up Moby without thinking about his politics, which I respect but don't do much for me. Specifically, of course, his whole vegan/animal rights thing, which he can be pretty strident about. Me, I like a steak. I'm kind of giving up octopus because I think they're quite possibly sentient, unlike chickens (which are basically stupid in a kind of cunning way, and also tasty, though octopus is pretty tasty, too).

But I totally dig the guy's music. Mostly. He went through a phase after Play where he seemed to be treading water for a while. Nothing really terrible, but nothing real exciting, either. And the guy gives a good show--I saw him back in the mid-'90s and it was a helluva good set.

I bring this up, though, because this is the bottom line about Moby's politics and political posturing: I don't really agree with him about what to eat (though I could do a better job eating ethically) and don't really think animals necessarily ought to have "rights" per se, but I'm totally down with him going on and on about it if he wants to. That's his thing, cool. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with his music, or if he does record a track about it (or calls an entire record Animal Rights) the bottom line may be whether it's any good as music. (Related note: I don't agree at all with Morrissey that "Meat Is Murder", but that song kinda kicks ass. For that matter, no idea what the hell is going on in the Sex Pistols' "Bodies" except that it's pretty clearly anti-choice--at least when it comes to women who live in trees--and I'm pro-choice, but gawddamn, that song fucking rocks.)

So it irritates the piss out of me when someone--and it always seems to be someone on the right--says, "Oh, I love so-and-so, I'm their biggest fan, but I hate when they talk about politics. I wish they'd keep their opinions to themselves. That's not what I paid for," etc. Y'know, if you're going to be like that, to hell with you. A guy doesn't lose the right to his opinions just because he picked up a guitar, and if that's what stops you, go home and listen to muzak. Besides which, maybe you'll learn something, even if you don't agree with what you learned. Oh, and: it's really absurd for you to pull this shit if the "so-and-so" in question is someone like Moby or Bruce Springsteen or Roger Waters who have worn their politics on their sleeve and been writing songs about whatever they believe in for, y'know, twenty, thirty, forty years or whatever--what did you think you were listening to when you were cranking The River or Animals, anyway?

2 comments:

Janiece Sunday, July 1, 2012 at 12:51:00 PM EDT  

Just so. This is why I choose not to read the opinions of, for example, Sean Penn. He's grown into a stunningly good actor, but every time he opens his mouth without a script, I cringe.

Solution: Enjoy his movies. Skip his interviews. Problem solved.

Anonymous,  Saturday, September 22, 2012 at 10:22:00 PM EDT  

"...and it always seems to be someone on the right..."

Really? And the left doesn't take shots at Ted Nugent, Clint Eastwood, etc.? In the entertainment industry, most can't go far if they do not toe the lib line.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP