Frank Turner, "I Still Believe"

>> Sunday, September 09, 2012





Well, matter-of-fact, the ScatterKat would have thought rock-and-roll would save us all, so if you're Facebook friends with either one of us, you probably noticed I shared it on her wall a couple of days ago, because, yes, she still believes.

I don't know that I quite believe--I don't think there's anything simple or small about rock-and-roll, whether Frank Turner means it ironically or not (and he does). Rock-and-roll has been dead for sixty years, after, all, soon as white boys started playing it, and died again when moppy-haired brits killed it, and died again when The Beatles broke up, and then (depending on who you ask) Bruce Springsteen brought it back or The Ramones did or possibly the Sex Pistols (who, ironically, were trying to kill it at the time), and this is kinda the postcard version of how rock-and-roll has been dying on a regular basis every two years or so for the past half-century-plus straight, hey-hey-my-my. You can be strict and say rock-and-roll is a 12-bar blues-based boogie-woogie nobody's been playing since about two years after some soul man invented and abandoned it, or you can define it as some kind of polymorphous vampiric blob that's so huge and encompassing I don't know it means much of anything anymore (though we all pretend we know it when we hear it).

I guess once we figure all that out, though, we can decide whether the anti-rockists are idiots or just morons.

(That was a joke: I don't actually care.)

But the ScatterKat has faith, and it's amongst the reasons I love her. So my-my-hey-hey....

3 comments:

timb111 Sunday, September 9, 2012 at 9:33:00 AM EDT  

Rock & Roll is an attitude. It will last as long as people can express that attitude.

Nick from the O.C.,  Tuesday, September 11, 2012 at 10:29:00 PM EDT  

A few years ago I hosted a website: RockNRollDeadorAlive? It was (obviously) for facilitating a debate that my friends and I were having on the subject. Had I known you then, I would have invited you to participate....

Eric Wednesday, September 12, 2012 at 9:31:00 AM EDT  

Thanks, Nick! It sounds like one of the few clubs I'd join.

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP