Arcadia, "Election Day"

>> Tuesday, November 06, 2012



Yeah, so I'm really hoping for no maximum big surprises, though I obviously have no idea how this damn thing is going to turn out.  I know that Nate Silver's Sims are now re-electing Obama more than nine times out of ten, but that just means that in 9.1% of those virtual universes, President Romney is emerging from the clouds of ones and zips.

Besides that, I just read a piece in Harper's that gave me a headache.  Short version, electronic voting machines are shit, easily rigged, and the whole "system" used to tabulate whatever these votes might be lacks transparency and accountability.  There are repeats of the allegations of electoral fraud in Ohio in 2004 along with a bevy of other issues and problems.  Oh, and here's a voting machine apparently telling a voter she's doing it wrong and recasting her vote for her.

Gods help us.

I'll be following the ups and downs tonight at home, or at least as much of the ups and downs as occur before I crawl into bed, sad and exhausted, I expect.  But I am thinking of: stopping one or maybe two places on the way home, and getting an inexpensive bottle of champagne (or "sparkling wine", whatever) and a bottle of cheap, shit-ass "wine" like Boone's Farm, and this way I figure I'm covered for "celebrating" either possible outcome, unless The Laundry sets Bob Howard to work and we end up with a high-level pandimensional manifestation winning the election, much to Nate Silver's surprise (I don't think he crunched those numbers).  P'raps.  Anyway, we'll see.  If they declare a presumptive winner tonight, I can have the appropriate tipple, celebratory or mournful, until the finger-pointing, recounts and threatened lawsuits start going down.  It's enough to make someone moody and grey, mean and restless, innit?

I think, though... I'm afraid this election is going to be something that ain't over 'til it ain't over.

No, I didn't stutter.

2 comments:

Phiala Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 1:30:00 PM EST  

Catching up on past musical selections: I hit play without paying too much attention to the YouTube info.

Wow, that sounds a lot like Duran Duran. That makes no sense... Who am I listening to again? On skipping past the info, the band had registered as being Arcade Fire. Um, no.

(I was 15 in 1985. Of COURSE I know who Arcadia was. It's just reading comprehension I fail at.)

Eric Wednesday, November 28, 2012 at 2:20:00 PM EST  

Now I want to hear Arcade Fire covering "Election Day". Or, for that matter, any Duran song at all. I'll bet they'd knock the socks off "A View To A Kill".

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting! Because of the evils of spam, comments on posts that are more than ten days old will go into a moderation queue, but I do check the queue and your comment will (most likely) be posted if it isn't spam.

Another proud member of the UCF...

Another proud member of the UCF...
UCF logo ©2008 Michelle Klishis

...an international gang of...

...an international gang of...
смерть шпионам!

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.

...Frank Gorshin-obsessed bikers.
GorshOn! ©2009 Jeff Hentosz

  © Blogger template Werd by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP